Skip to main content

Crazy Clinto's Handy Homebrew Hacks Part 2 - Go West!

I wanted to follow up on my recent post about homebrew hacks with some practical and free resources that you can apply today to create your own Gygaxian / Westmarches style campaign for your kids or students. I’m going to focus much more on materials and resources in this post than on theory and technique. I will link to some great articles and videos to cover theory and technique.

This post was inspired by a recent video by Professor Dungeon Master and his son over on the Dungeoncraft channel. That video was inspired by a recent video by Questing Beast about time keeping in your campaign. For your convenience, I've embedded the Dungeoncraft video here:

On the off chance that the above video didn’t give you a good handle on what this kind of campaign is, here’s the original source of this term, Ben Robbins explaining in detail.

The Setting & Your Home Base

I talked a lot in my previous post in this series on creating your homebrew setting. I’m not going to rehash all of that information right here, but I do want to share some quick resources to give you a "lay-of-the-land" you can pick right up and steal right away. The wealth of free resources available on the Internet cannot be understated, particularly those in the form of wikis and material published for the "Basic Fantasy Role-playing Game".

Professor DM noted that you should have a home base. Here are a few home base possibilities:

This home base allows you to build out into the wider world with your players. I always remember Enrique Bertran's advice, on the excellent first episode of the DM's Deep Dive, that you should, "Start Small. You're not Tolkien. Nobody cares about your prose. Nobody cares about your world. Nobody cares about the mystical mount where the oracle lives... The way you make your players buy in is to make them the heroes of their own little world." That said, you may eventually find yourself needing to come up with some details to flesh out your little world. For this, I give you articles AND resources.

Articles / Advice

Tools & Resources 

Just remember, You should still be thinking two horizons out, as Mike Shea recommends. 

Going forth to Adventure!

Where do we go from our home base? A big part of this style of play assumes that you will move out and explore the dark and hidden places on the map. I spoke a lot in the last post in the series about putting in pre-bought modules, like Scarlet Citadel, from Kobold Press; any of the official Wizards of the Coast modules; or even old classics from the 90s. There are so many places to explore! "What if I haven’t bought anything?", you might ask. Well, let’s take a look at some of the awesome resources available to you.

Closing Thoughts & Parting Shots

Yesterday, the D&D community online lost its collective crap because #SpelljammerConfirmed. I love Spelljammer, but I'm honestly surprised that this is blowing up as much as it is. One thing I can see is that Spelljammer has the possibility of being the ultimate West Marches Campaign. After all, space is the final frontier. If you want to get started Spelljamming right away with all the mechanics of space travel and lore, might I recommend the 2nd Edition Spelljammer Setting from DrivethruRPG

I wish you and yours good luck and great games. Don'f forget to be awesome dungeon masters!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perfectly Perilous

As I've mentioned here before, I am a Middle School teacher and I have a D&D club during our school clubs period. This is a super popular club with great attendance and others waiting to get in. It poses a unique challenge, though, being a part of the school day, rather than an after-school club. Basically, I have 30 minutes once every 2 weeks, to introduce D&D to kids with little to no experience, who are with me for a trimester, roughly 6 - 7 sessions if we're lucky.  Free Club Kit Wizards of the Coast sent me their free club kit, which included the a copy of the recently released D&D Starter Set: Dragons of Stormwreck Isle, instructions and guidelines for club organizers, a quick demo and learn-to-play guide for Dungeon Masters, easy-to-read character cards, a poster to advertise your club, flyers, a Campaign Case: Terrain, and a Campaign Case: Creatures. This was a great start. Especially useful was the a quick demo and learn-to-play guide for Dungeon Masters: &

Middle School D&D Club

So, I finally did it! I had the opportunity and support to start a D&D club at my Middle School building. Now this isn't a big after-school program or anything. This happens during the school day in our "clubs period" every other Tuesday. Joined by my friend and colleague, Jared Reck  (read his books!), I ventured to come up with a club that would introduce our students to this awesome hobby.  The Setup The advertisement we put in our middle school clubs catalog looked like this:  D&D is exceptionally inclusive. All you need to join is an imagination . Playing is like creating infinite stories that you and your friends write—and rewrite and re-rewrite—together. You’re all active participants in writing a unique adventure through different, fantastical worlds and scenarios. There is no winner. Instead, the goal is to deepen your understanding of your character by interacting with other players and their shared environment. Participation in tabletop cooperative role