Skip to main content

Hoping One D&D is really Two D&D's

Some thoughts on the One D&D play test thus far. 

So, Wizards of the Coast announced that One D&D, an edition that continues the already functional legacy of Fifth Edition with some minor rules tweaks would be the next iteration of Dungeons & Dragons. 


The D&D community at large took in the news and began prognosticating about what broken systems from Fifth Edition might fall under the scalpel. 

  • Maybe they'll get rid of short rests...
  • Maybe they'll clean up the whole use this ability once per long rest / per day vs. number of times equal to proficiency bonus mess. 
  • Maybe they'll get rid of the whole use of the word "race" in the rules...
  • Maybe they'll streamline the whole character background thing to make it easier / less complicated for new players.

We were all wrong. Instead, the play test documents have focused on rules that most players never considered broken or lacking while adding in new levels of complexity. It has taken optional systems, like feats and made them core, at first level, no less, adding unnecessary complexity right at the start.

I'm not going to get into the weeds, rule-by-rule. I'm not going to rant about what I do and do not like from the play-test. If you would like to hear what I consider to be sound design analysis of these rules, I would suggest listening to RPG veterans and game designers Teos Abadia and Shawn Merwin discuss 5e and One D&D at length on the Mastering Dungeons Podcast

What I will do is make the following contention, which may or may not be a particularly hot take.

One D&D from the play test documents so far doesn't feel at all like a 5.5 or even a 6th Edition. Hear me out. I think One D&D feels very much like AD&D or 5E Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. It feels like WotC has done something very much like Gygax and TSR did with AD&D in the early days, expanding the rules in some cases, replacing DM rulings with codified rules (in the Players Handbook no less), and adding more complex systems into the game from the start. 

Being a 5th Edition player who also loves old-school retro-clones, I often hear the OSR community criticize 5e for having too many rules or being too complex and rigid. If anything, I would say 5e is the simplest iteration of D&D to come along since we left the simplicity of B/X for AD&D. Now that we're adding a bunch of rules and new systems in from the start with One D&D, I can't help but feel that we're going to once again split the player base. The DM's who prefer a simpler rules system sticking with 5e and those who desire more crunch and power creep going with the new version. If the new stuff is "compatible" with original 5th edition books and adventures, I feel like it will be more like how AD&D adventures could be used with B/X rules and vice versa, of course with a lot of tweaking

Maybe there is a market for a more crunch-heavy, super-powered D&D. I'm sure Wizards is doing its share of market research. It just feels yucky, like 4E felt for a lot of people. 

I agree with Mike Shea (Slyflourish) that our happiness / enjoyment of this game is not dependent on Wizards, but I have really been enjoying the number of students, friends, relatives, and colleagues that have been asking me about D&D in the last couple of years. More-so, I've been really enjoying how easy it is to on-ramp them into the hobby that I have loved since 1992 with the current rule set, which is so beginner-friendly. 

Honestly, I am really hoping that the "One D&D" this play test is aiming toward is really Two D&D's; a simple 5e continued with an advanced version for hard-core enthusiasts that want a complex rule for everything, including social encounters, and lots and lots of feats, epic boons, and other candy. 

That's just my two cents. Share your thoughts in the comments below, as the kids say.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perfectly Perilous

As I've mentioned here before, I am a Middle School teacher and I have a D&D club during our school clubs period. This is a super popular club with great attendance and others waiting to get in. It poses a unique challenge, though, being a part of the school day, rather than an after-school club. Basically, I have 30 minutes once every 2 weeks, to introduce D&D to kids with little to no experience, who are with me for a trimester, roughly 6 - 7 sessions if we're lucky.  Free Club Kit Wizards of the Coast sent me their free club kit, which included the a copy of the recently released D&D Starter Set: Dragons of Stormwreck Isle, instructions and guidelines for club organizers, a quick demo and learn-to-play guide for Dungeon Masters, easy-to-read character cards, a poster to advertise your club, flyers, a Campaign Case: Terrain, and a Campaign Case: Creatures. This was a great start. Especially useful was the a quick demo and learn-to-play guide for Dungeon Masters: &

Middle School D&D Club

So, I finally did it! I had the opportunity and support to start a D&D club at my Middle School building. Now this isn't a big after-school program or anything. This happens during the school day in our "clubs period" every other Tuesday. Joined by my friend and colleague, Jared Reck  (read his books!), I ventured to come up with a club that would introduce our students to this awesome hobby.  The Setup The advertisement we put in our middle school clubs catalog looked like this:  D&D is exceptionally inclusive. All you need to join is an imagination . Playing is like creating infinite stories that you and your friends write—and rewrite and re-rewrite—together. You’re all active participants in writing a unique adventure through different, fantastical worlds and scenarios. There is no winner. Instead, the goal is to deepen your understanding of your character by interacting with other players and their shared environment. Participation in tabletop cooperative role

Crazy Clinto's Handy Homebrew Hacks Part 2 - Go West!

I wanted to follow up on my recent post about homebrew hacks with some practical and free resources that you can apply today to create your own Gygaxian / Westmarches style campaign for your kids or students. I’m going to focus much more on materials and resources in this post than on theory and technique. I will link to some great articles and videos to cover theory and technique. This post was inspired by a recent video by Professor Dungeon Master and his son over on the Dungeoncraft channel. That video was inspired by a recent video by Questing Beast about time keeping in your campaign. For your convenience, I've embedded the Dungeoncraft video here: On the off chance that the above video didn’t give you a good handle on what this kind of campaign is, here’s the original source of this term, Ben Robbins explaining in detail. The Setting & Your Home Base I talked a lot in my previous post in this series on creating your homebrew setting. I’m not going to rehash all of tha